Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Possibility of getting parasite by eating undercooked ground turkey burger?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 65 Questions
I ate an undercooked ground XXXXXXX burger (slightly pink on the inside) - I was wondering if there is a need to worry about the possibility of getting a parasite? Thanks so much.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Banait 11 hours later

Any under-cooked vegetable/food carries a risk of infection by bacteria/viruses or any other parasites. This is absolutely a chance occurring.

I am not sure if you are referring to cases of salmonella infection reported at various places in US in March 11.

Though these cases were associated with ground XXXXXXX burger, not everybody who had eaten it developed infection. Moreover, only 11-12 cases were reported till march (that was when i last read about it!). The illness was short lived. No loss of life.

In short, risk appears to be minor. Even if you develop infection, the illness may not be serious and will be treatable easily.

So, do not worry. Enjoy life.


Dr. Vaibhav Banait
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor