Pneumonia, severe cough, pain in breast bone to the back. Is this from pulled muscle? Remedy?

Question
I had pnumonia about a month ago with severe coughing. I am still coughing but now when I cough it is to the point of gagging and sometimes through up plegm. Now I have a pain to the left of my breast bone that goes through to my back (same spot) when I cough and breathe. The pain will sometimes go away but it even hurts to move. Is this from a pulled muscle or could it be something else. I need to get some relief from this pain.
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

I can understand your concern for this pain. although from your symptoms it looks like a pulled muscle or muscle strain but since you had pneumonia one month back it is better to get an x-ray or CT chest done to rule out any pleuritis as well.

Pleuritis is inflammation of the pleura, a lining covering the lungs. This pleuritis may be due to pneumonia and causes chest pain (usually sharp) when you take a breath or cough.

Till that time, apply warm compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer like Diclofenac after consulting your doctor. Application of topical muscle relaxant will also help if the pain is due to muscular causes.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Pneumonia, severe cough, pain in breast bone to the back. Is this from pulled muscle? Remedy? 27 minutes later
How long will it take it to go away if it is a muscle strain? Is there a way to tell if it is a muscle strain opposed to pleura without the x-ray?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

It may take 10-15 days for the muscle strain to heal completely with usage of warm compresses and anti inflammatory drugs. Also, unfortunately it is not 100% possible to diagnose pleuritis without X-ray. Sometimes on auscultation, the doctor can diagnose pleuritis but confirmation can only be done by x-ray.