Plugged ears, nausea, dizziness, heightened smell, occasional sinusitis

ENT Specialist
My ears feel plugged somewhat or pressure and i get this nausea and dizziness...sometimes it seems better when i am away from my home. Any ideas on this and also i have a heightened sense of smell which may or may not be related. I am 50. i have gone for sinus and sometimes have a slight sinus pressure or sinusitus but not always.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 10 hours later

In your case, the symptoms like nausea, dizziness, change in smell sensation, sinus pressure are due to the condition known as chronic rhino sinusitis.

First of all I would like to tell you about this condition--- In this disease, there is infection of the mucosal lining of the nasal and sinus mucosa, that leads to increased production of secretions, which later on leads to bacterial infection, and pus production, that is responsible for these symptoms.

This pus traverses from the sinus to the nose and then to the throat, and there is a tube known as eustachian tube and blocks it. This tube connects the throat with the ears, due to this the person gives the history of blocking sensation in ears. That, is what happening in your case.

Sinus pressure, that you are feeling is due is increased production of secretions in the sinus.

What you will have to do now.---

Consult an ENT surgeon and get a CT SCAN PNS done to confirm the diagnosis, then you will have to take the course of antibiotic, a water soluble steroid, antiinflammatory, decongestant, antihistaminic along with steam inhalation, at least for 21 days.

Then again get CT PNS to look for resolution in signs. Mostly the symptoms resolves in a period of 3 weeks treatment.

For nausea and dizziness, you may take anti vertigo drug of betahistine group, these symptoms in your case are most probably due to betablocker (metaprolol).

Hope this will help you, I am available for future follow ups.

Follow-up: Plugged ears, nausea, dizziness, heightened smell, occasional sinusitis 12 hours later
now, I don't have any to have to blow my nose etc...i am opposite and have no fluids draining at all and they feel like it is all in the top of my head and won't drain and sometimes the ears feel plugged..does this make sense? can this make me dizzy and nauseated? or do you think the dizziness is mainly due to the metaprolol? i have had dizziness some before taking this medicine. my doc did talk about referring me to an ear nose throat specialist. i was wandering if there was something in our home or our home being too is a partial earth contact and pretty energy efficiant. we recently put on a sunroom and was wandering if something in the building materials since they used special window and some kind of styrofoam type insulations is in the small bit of walls, the floor is wood laminate...didn't knwo if any of these things can give off toxic fumes since it almost seems like i clear up somewhat when i leave. we are also surrounded by cedar trees and other trees and lots of weeds on our border of property. i know i also need to lose weight and maybe this would help too.
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 18 hours later

Thanks for getting back to me,

From your above history, it seems, that you are living in environment, full of allergens, first of all try to find out, the particular allergen, which is most offending, and is increasing your symptoms. and then try to avoid it.

YOU HAVE NO HISTORY OF DISCHARGE, IM MEANS YOU, MAY HAVE REDUCED SINUS SPACE, that is known as hypertrophied mucosa. To diagnose it, CT SCAN IS must.

Nausea may be due to metaprolol side effect. other cause of dizziness may be due to generalized weakness, which may be secondary to your weight reduction schedules.

Dont worry, just consult an ENT surgeon and then get a CT SCAN PNS done, whis is now must in your case, to proceed further.

Hope this information will help you.