Please suggest me a way to reduce weight and stay fit

Dietitian & Nutritionist
I am 34 year male and my height is 5' 11'' and my weight is 93 Kg. I am working in a IT company. I put on extra weight in last 4/5 year.
Please suggest me a way to reduce weight and stay fit. Also I need guidance in diet plan
Thanks & Regards XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Diet Plans
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
balanced diet with exercises are recommended

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern and believe that you are really serious about loosing those extra kilos. The healthiest way to lose weight without compromising on nutrition is a combination of a balanced diet with regular physical exercises. Your BMI is 28.7 Kg/m2, which means you are required to lose 11 to 15 kilos. The rate of weight loss varies individually, and can be accelerated by making positive changes in eating pattern.

It’s an established fact that a diet low in fat and calories is beneficial, and one should avoid sweets and refined food in order to lose weight. To ensure that your nutrient reserves are maintained while you follow a diet, it’s important to consider the following –

•     Consume plenty of water and non-oily sugarless drinks like tender coconut water.
•     Have a portion of salad immediately before the meals.
•     Maintain multiple meal pattern but at the same time avoid eating heavy foods as snacks.
•     Include green tea, wheat grass juice and black coffee to boost metabolism.
•     Avoid fasting for long hours, and do not take heavy meals for dinner.
•     Follow “one fruit a day” rule.
•     Its ok if u say …. NO, when offered sweets and other fattening foods at work place.
•     While buying packed food, ask for a fat free or low fat product.
•     Take sufficient sleep and practice de-stressing techniques.

Here is a sample plan for you……

Early Morning:
Green tea (sugar less) – 1 glass

Non fried preparations like:
Whole wheat bread without butter – 2 slices
Vegetable poha/ Dalia/ Sevian/ upma - 1 cup
Idli 2pc. With Sāmbhar – 1 cup
Cornflakes with skimmed milk (1 tsp. sugar) – 1 cup
Stuffed chapatti (no oil )- 2 no. with dry vegetable – 1 katori

Fruits (avoid the carbohydrate XXXXXXX fruits like mango, sapota, grapes, banana, custard XXXXXXX and watermelon also avoid fruit juices and fruit milk shakes)

2 chapatti + sabji 1 katori + dal – 1 katori + salad 1 katori + 1 glass thin butter milk or 1 katori skimmed curd.

Evening Snacks:
Tea / Coffee (less or no sugar) + high fiber bis. OR Sprouts / roasted channa -1 katori

2 chapatti + vegetable 1 katori + skimmed buttermilk 1 glass + salad 1 katori.

The weight that you have put on would take time to go, so be patient and focused. Simple exercises like jogging, skipping, swimming etc. are good. Abdominal crunches and cross crunches would help you in toning up the abdominal muscles.

Hope this satisfies your query