Played golf, temperature 107, hearing blood flow in the neck, wrapped in cool towels. Causes ?

I I am a 62 yo, white male who played golf today in XXXXXXX with temps around 107. While I was standing over the ball in the sun, I could hear the blood flow on the left side of my neck. I wrapped my neck with cool towels and finished my round....this happened several times. What was occurring to me?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 58 minutes later

From your symptoms two possibilities are coming to my mind. These should be evaluated.

1)     The first possibility is of heat exhaustion that occurs when one is under the sun under high temperature and sweating cannot dissipate the heat generated within the body. You were playing golf under high temperature and hence these symptoms might have occurred.

2)     Second possibility in view of your high blood pressure is of any carotid artery aneurysm which is a bulging or ballooning in the wall of a blood vessel. It is caused when a portion of the artery wall weakens. Although this is a less likely possibility but still it needs evaluation considering your age and history of blood pressure.

You need to consult a doctor and get echocardiogram and maybe a magnetic artery angiogram (if the above said tests are not normal). Also get your blood pressure evaluated at regular intervals.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.