Planning to start weight lifting exercise. Suggestions

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am planning to start body built exercise in form of weight lifting, this is my first time, I am wondering if I stop this exercise in the future would the muscle i built continue or it may return to the starting size ? Also any specific medical test/ lab work I should get before starting this exercise? and what would be the reasonable frequency/ intensity of the exercise to achieve good muscle built & at the same time avoid injury? I am having good health in general.
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 6 hours later

I have read your complete question. I shall be glad to provide you answer for this.

It looks from your details that you want to built your body by doing exercises.

Most of the body building exercises include isotonic exercises. During isotonic exercises the tone in the muscle is not changed but the length is changed. These exercises are most helpful in building muscles & developing strength in them. Doing dumble exercises or weight lifting are examples of these type of exercises. These exercises increases the blood flow in muscles & help in increasing muscle fibers & there size.

If you stop the exercises after doing them for few days or months then they will come to there normal size because muscles will not have increased blood supply as there is decreased demand or in other words if there is increase muscle work then only this is associated with building of muscles.

Before doing exercises you should be fit or in other words you should know that how much of exercises can your body be able to tolerate.The tests which you should have include-

-Blood glucose levels (Fasting as well as post postprandial)

-Blood levels of electrolytes(sodium,potassium,chloride)

-Echocardiography & ECG of heart.

-Lung capacity tests.

At start you should do exercises only under supervision of a trainer.You should know how to & how much to warm up before exercises.The muscles are like cold rubber before starting of exercises ,if you put strain on them before warming them there may cracks or strain on muscles.If you warm them before exercises then there stretch ability increases & there are less chances of injury.

Never do exercises when you have pain or start feeling pain during exercise.

You should be well hydrate before exercises ,this will prevent dehydration due to fluid loss due to sweat.

So do not hesitate & go forward with all these actions & precautions.

Hope all this will be helpful for you.

Wish you a happy & healthy.