Planning to do glycolic peel for acne scars and pimples. Is this safe?

Dermatologist
Question
hi i am planning to do glycolic peel for my acne scars and pimples. Is it safe to do with a dermatolgist or in beauty salon. And kindly help me to do in coimbatore tamilnadu India. Please help
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 48 minutes later

Glycolic peels can be taken for acne scars and pimples. The concentration used is usually 20 percent to 50 percent and sessions are done 2 weeks apart.

The result of peels to reduce active acne lesions like comedones, papules and pustule is good. However, if someone is having cysts or nodules results would not be desirable. Similarly superficial scars and marks respond well. But, if scars are of moderate depth to deep, the response won't be good.

Peels are quite safe when done by a dermatologist. However, few untoward side effects may occur if not done properly( persistent redness, burn etc). Hence it is advisable that you get it done from a dermatologist.

Peels are now commonly done, so you can get it done at any skin clinic nearby.

Hope that helps.
Should there be any other query, feel free to write back.

Follow-up: Planning to do glycolic peel for acne scars and pimples. Is this safe? 9 hours later
can you suggest some well known dermatolgist you know in coimbatore who does glycolic peel. Please suggest me. And is XXXXXXX skin clinic or vlcc is good to do it

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 18 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Chemical peels are being done by almost every dermatologist. You may get it done by any well qualified dermatologist in your area. You may also get it done at any reputed cosmetology centre. Both VLCC and XXXXXXX are well known centres. Personally I would advise XXXXXXX as I began my career with XXXXXXX skin clinic! The doctors and other practitioners in XXXXXXX are well trained to do chemical peels.
Hope that helps!

Follow-up: Planning to do glycolic peel for acne scars and pimples. Is this safe? 4 hours later
hi mam thank you for suggestion. Yesterday i consulted a skin doctor he suggested me acne peel will be better compared to glycolic. I have to remove some XXXXXXX including my acne so which one will better. And shall i use cosmetics after peeling and which sunscreen to use

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 11 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Acne peel contains salicylic acid. Salicylic acid is preferred by many for acne. It will reduce tanning too. Cosmetics and makeup immediately after peels are not advised. However you may apply makeup two to three days after peels.
When taking peels use of sunscreen is must even if staying indoors. As you have acne prone skin, you may use suncross aqua gel or suncote sunscreens. Refrain from bleaching, facials or threading two to three days prior or after peels.
Hope that answers your query.

Follow-up: Planning to do glycolic peel for acne scars and pimples. Is this safe? 2 days later
thanks mam :) should i want to use this immediately after peeling or after 2 or 3 days time

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 9 hours later
Sunscreen should be used immediately after peels but refrain from cosmetics, makeup, salon procedures etc for two to three days.

Hope that helps.