Planning to conceive. Test showed bilateral polycystic ovaries. What does this mean?

My wife has done a test, UCG pelvis, and her report mentions 'Bilateral Polycystic Ovaries'. What does it mean for us especially when we are planning to try to get pregnant? She has regular periods apart from once in a blue moon irregularity but gets a lot of pain during first two days. Her both ovaries are enlarged and measure 7cc volume each. Please suggest us.
We have the copy of the report, and can share more details
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 11 hours later
Polycystic ovarian syndrome is quite a common problem in today's life due sedentary life style & taking fast food.
This problem can cause irregular periods & sometimes difficulty in conception.
To control it first thing to do is daily exercise, weight reduction & avoid fast food.
Plan for conception as soon as possible & if there occurs some difficult, consult your gynaecologist to start medication like Metformin & some blood investigations like random blood sugar & LH:FSH ratio.
I hope your query has been answered.
Follow-up: Planning to conceive. Test showed bilateral polycystic ovaries. What does this mean? 15 days later
Dear Doc,
thank you very much for your guidance. My wife has had her periods start as per the normal cycle, however there was minimal or very low bleeding compared to her usual periods.
The discharge was very small in comparisions to what happens usually on the first - third days.
Also, she is having stomach cramps on the 4th day, however still no bleeding.

She's had normal periods till now, can you please suggest, what seems to be the issue. Would it be feasible to have a chat / talk with her.

Many thanks,
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 31 minutes later
Welcome back.
If your wife was having regular periods & now she is having minimal bleeding, it means she can be pregnant & bleeding she is having can be due to implantation of fertilized ovum.
However without urine or blood pregnancy test, it would be very difficult to be confirm. So get her urine pregnancy test done with pregnancy kit available at pharmacy & let me know the result.
I will be available for your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Planning to conceive. Test showed bilateral polycystic ovaries. What does this mean? 4 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for your guidance. We did a UPT and it was positive. However, she is having no other symptoms of pregnancy like vomiting/painful breasts etc. Also she is having cramps similar to menstrual cramps in lower stomach and pain in legs. She normally has such cramps and pain in her periods.

The amount of bleeding happenned in the first three days of this light period was around 2% of bleeding that happens during periods. We went to a gynaec and she asked us to get a blood test done, we are awaiting the report.

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 53 minutes later
First of all I will congratulate you & your wife both.
Your wife is at very early stage of pregnancy. As HCG & progesterone level will increase, she will develop all pregnancy symptoms.
I think your doctor has asked you to get blood beta HCG test done. In healthy pregnancy beta HCG level gets doubled in every 48 hrs.
She can have abdominal pain due to implantation & if reports come normal, then nothing to worry.
All The Best.