Planing to take supplements. Suggest whether it is advisable to take multivitamin and multimineral tablets?

Hi Doctor,

I'd like to know whether it is advisable to take multivitamin and multimineral tablets. If yes, could you please let me know the name.

I'm a 31 year old working lady with 2 kids. I'm planning to take these supplements, please let me know whether I need to go with the supplements or not.

Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

Scientifically there are no real or obvious benefits of multivitamin/multimineral tablets unless an individual has vitamin/nutritional deficiencies. Therefore I do not recommend my patients to take any supplements unless there is a real need.

Therefore can you specify the reasons why you wish to take the supplements? Are you suffering with any symptoms?

Awaiting your reply...

Follow-up: Planing to take supplements. Suggest whether it is advisable to take multivitamin and multimineral tablets? 22 minutes later
My metabolisim is very slow. I feel so tired after climing one floor and have got hair loss problem. Read some articles that these suppliments actually improve the metabolism and keeps the over all health in a good condition.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 26 hours later
If you wish to try then you might try Tab . Biotin forte.

It contains vitamin C. It is specifically helpful for hair fall issues while providing addition supplementation.

On the contrary, I think you also need to get your thyroid hormone checked. Underactive thyroid state can be responsible for low metabolism, easy tiredness and hair loss.

Hope this helps.

Wish you good luck!!