Placenta abruption, belching, stomach burns, diarrhea, lower back pain.

General Surgeon
/Hi! I am 31-32 weeks pregnant. I was in a car accident 6/7/11 and stayed in the hospital for 24 hours afterwards to be monitored for placenta abruption. I was released with no signs of complications. Saturday 6/11/11 I started to see some pink spotting and later on that evening it turned brown. I spotted until this am (only once today). Today I have been extremely tired, extremely gasy (belching), a burning in my stomach/diarrhea, with more XXXXXXX XXXXXXX and some slight lower back pain. I checked my cervix and I may be dialated to one but thats at most. Last night we went to walmart and I felt a lot of pressure between my legs. What could this possibly be? This is my third pregnancy, two prior c sections, 28 years old.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 31 minutes later

Post accident there can be early and delayed problems. You were observed for 24 hours to check for early problems and sent back. Delayed complication is a known entity. In the early phase of post accident sometimes test turns out to be normal. But later on they show some positive findings.

Now you have some vaginal discharge ,(which was pink earlier and now brownish) suggests some minor internal bleeding which remained concealed in the early phase, now becoming revealed. Tiredness & back pain and contractions also suggest, some XXXXXXX bleed or problem. Pressure between the leg appear to be due to fetus presenting part getting engaged early.

I feel that you need to get a Gynecological checkup along with ultrasound to confirm the diagnosis and start management accordingly.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”

Follow-up: Placenta abruption, belching, stomach burns, diarrhea, lower back pain. 1 hour later
After checking my cervix and it being closed or close to being closed is there still a need for this? The spotting was just that.. a spot when I wiped and possibly a spot in my underwear. What would they do if I am in preterm labor or if I have had an abruption of my placenta? Would I see spotting from my placenta even if cervix is closed?
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 1 hour later

Minor bleeding per vaginum don`t indicate straight forward abruptio placentae .So please don`t think of highest complication. Post accidental , Minor placental injury ,can present with bleeding per vaginum. As you have examined ,your cervix is closed that is a good sign .but bleeding can occur even with closed cervix. Bleeding at 32-33 weeks of pregnancy is never normal. To be on safer side ultrasound is indicated. Normal ultrasound report will rule out possibility of future complication.
Hope I have answered your question well to your satisfaction. Wish you speedy complete recovery at the earliest.