Placed on Statins for reduction of cholesterol. What is the impact of consuming alcohol on cholesterol?

Hello Doctor

I've been placed on Statins (10 mg daily) to reduce my cholesterol level. I'm a vegetarian with little or no intake of fatty foods. Why is my LDL so high (210)?

What is the impact of consuming alcohol on the cholesterol?
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Seems genetic

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

You LDL is very high. LDL-C in general has been recognized as a very important risk factor for heart diseases and treatment has to be started to bring it to normal range.

Diet is usually the culprit. Since you do not take fatty foods, you may also want to watch for trans fatty acids in the cooking oil and try to avoid it.

Other factors can also be responsible. These include:
-obstructive liver disease
-chronic kidney failure
-drugs that lower HDL and raise LDL like cortocisteroids, anabolic steroids, etc
These need to be ruled out with blood tests before initiating lipid-lowering medicines.

Very high LDL levels are usually due to genetic causes of hypercholesterolemia like monogenic familial hypercholesterolemia, Familial defective apolipoprotein-B or Polygenic hypercholetrolemia. Family testing for hypercholesterolemia will find other family members with high levels of lipids.

A combination of medicines and lifestyle management is required to control it. The lifestyle changes should include:
-reduced intake of saturated fats to less than 7% and cholesterol to less than 200 mg/day
-increase the soluble fiber in the diet. Sources of soluble fiber include oatmeal, oat cereal, lentils, apples, oranges, pears, oat XXXXXXX strawberries, nuts, beans, dried peas, blueberries, psyllium, cucumbers, celery, and carrots.
-Weight reduction
-Increased physical activity of atleast 20 min a day. It can include walk, yoga, gym , swimming, cycling, etc.

Alcohol intake can increase the triglyceride levels but in some studies it has been shown to increase HDL levels if taken in limits.

Let me know if I can assist you further

Dr Vaishalee