Ask a Urologist   »  

Pituitary tumour controlled with medication. Blood in urine and diagnosed as kidney stones. Is it right?

My husband has a Pituitary tumor which is quite large and has been controlled with meds successfully for six or so years. He has started to have very bloody urin and has been referred to a urologist who says he has kidney stones. No pain at all, no cancer cells...I think it could be from the tumor, am I right or wrong. We have to travel from Fairbanks, Alaska to Anchorage, Alaska to see his Nuerologist which is 365 miles so I would like to have some idea. Thank you so much
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this bloody urine and the pituitary tumor your husband have been battling with. I can only wish him the best of possible outcomes and Hope that you get the strength to be an always present support person to him.

From the information you have provided, the findings off blood in urine are consistent with kidney stones. Pains is not a constant symptom of kidney stones unless they get to obstruct the flow of urine. Otherwise, they generally manifest with blood in urine which stains the entire stream.

There are less than 1% chances for this bleeding to be explained by the brain tumor directly. It could have led to indirect factors favoring kidney stones but not that the tumor itself can explain this and more more in the presence of an identified cause.

I hope this addresses your query fully and throws some ore lights as to what the possible outcome of your visit could be. Thank you for using our services and do feel free to ask me for clarifications if need be.
I wish your husband well and the best of health.
Dr. Ditah, MD