Pinkish discharge after miscarriage. Is it normal?

I had a miscarriage and 6 days later I have gushes of pink fluid coming out of me. What is happening?
Posted Fri, 18 May 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later

Hi there. Thank you for posting your question with XXXXXXX I will do my best to help you.

What you describe here are probably gushes of amniotic fluid and 'retained products' of conception. Even after six days this should not alarm you too much. The chance are that everything will settle down in the next few days. It is when one goes on loosing blood that there might be concern.

The worst that might happen is that you will need to have a D&C. Take your time however and do not rush into this. You are going to be fine!

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.

Follow-up: Pinkish discharge after miscarriage. Is it normal? 5 hours later
Dr. Rynne, thank you for your time and help. I have not bled much at all, just some old, brown blood for a couple of days after the miscarriage when the tissue came out. I would imagine that the amniotic fluid would have drained out when I passed that. How could I still have a bag of water when I saw the embryo almost a week earlier? Is it possible that there were 2 babies? This is my 5th miscarriage, but the first without heavy bleeding and I've never had anything like this happen.
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 8 hours later
Hi there.

Thank you for your follow up question.

If you are concerned about there being a second fetus and that this might therefore be an incomplete miscarriage, then you really do not have much choice other than to go into your maternity hospital and have a pelvic ultrasound scan done.

This is the easiest way to determine what's going on inside of your uterus. I hope it all goes well for you.

Andrew Rynne.