Pink lump on throat, itchy. Using nasal drip. No mucus. Cancer?

hi. I am 33 years old female. Lately i am having throat problems i think. It felt itchy for wile and when i had good look in my throat i saw - on the back of my tongue right under they tangling ting in the throat, there is like big pink lump of taste buds. Wuld you thank it should be checked out by my GB? and also i have constant nasal drip, and my mucus is clear, but some times it has brown dots in it.Could the be cancer?Thank you for help.
Posted Mon, 1 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
The rounded mass you are describing are lingual tonsils at the base of tongue.
It is not unusual to find them little enlarged.
The nasal drip is basically a postnasal drip and is mostly the cause for scratchiness or itchiness of throat.Normally this is a clear thin mucus which cleans,warms and humidities the air before inhaling it.
Sometimes this mucus thickens and then it may irritate your throat.This mucus may have sometimes brown or black particles in it which are due to dust or carbon from pollution.It is not a sign of cancer.
The common cold, flu, and other upper respiratory tract infections can all cause disturbances of the postnasal mucus and, in turn, throat scratchiness. 
Scratchy throat is a common side effect of air conditioning or heating also. The dry air that circulates in an air-conditioned or heated room can cause the mucus of the nasal passages to thicken, thus irritating the throat. Cigarette smoke irritates the back of the throat as well, causing throat itchiness for smokers and passers-by alike. Pollution aggravates the throat in much the same way. 

Interestingly, a bad case of heartburn can bring on a scratchy or sore throat
In many cases sinusitis can also cause post nasal drip.

You may use home remedies for this itchy throat like
Hot saline gargles
Steam inhalation
Avoiding smoke 
Stopping cigarette if smoking
If cold is there,you may use saline nasal sprays or anti allergics like cetrizine etc.

Normally such measures should be enough to make you all right however if things don't improve in next fortnight,then you may consult your doctor and get investigated.

Your symptoms don't look like that of cancer,so stop worrying about it unnecessarily.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck