Pimples on front portion of nose, extremely sore. How to treat and prevent these?

Poor

Dermatologist
Question
First allow me to express my astonishment at having someone respond so quickly and, if it be true, to have that someone be a doctor.
Here's my question: I am 67 years old, long past the acne stage of my life. Recently what I suspect are benign pimples have begun to form in the front portion of my nose. These pimples do not break the surface although there is a substantial amount of redness that remains for several days. In addition, they are extremely sore. ON occasion I have attempted to break them open by squeezing. This usually does not work only adding to the soreness. What is causing these, how can I treat them, and how can I prevent them?
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Acne

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 20 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
I would also know-
Is there any itching on bumps?
Are the lesions persistent or do they go away?
Do the lesions increase on taking hot food/coffee/tea/hot beverages?
Are they on central face ?
Are the bumps raised /flat?blanching?

Can you upload the photos of the affected area?
Photos can help a lot in predicting the condition.
Upload the photos and answer the questions and we can continue the discussion here.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.
Regards.
Dr. Sudarshan

Follow-up: Pimples on front portion of nose, extremely sore. How to treat and prevent these? 3 hours later
Dr.,
Is there any itching on bumps?
There is no itching and no bumps. The affected area is the front top of the nose. I imagine that there is a pimple within this area that does not surface.
The cycle resembles that of an acne pimple. It begins, it continues to irritate, then slowly it fades. This occurs every few weeks.
Food or beverages, hot or cold, has not effect.
Are they on central face ?
This occurs only on the bulbous portion of my nose. Again, I suspect it is a pimple that, due to its location, does not break the surface. However, the area is red as if there were an infection within.
Are the bumps raised /flat?blanching?
No bumps. Visible evidence is limited to redness on the surface. The area is extremely tender.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 8 hours later
Hi ,
Thanks for details.
I still cannot see the photos .It can be rosacea according to your description.
Rosacea usually starts in nose/central face.
It is characterized by redness of skin with pustular lesions and tenderness.
It is treatable by dapsone ,minocycline ,antibiotics,anti inflammatory drugs.

A diagnosis can be confirmed if you can upload images of the affected area.
Upload the images and we can continue the discussion here.
Regards.
DrSudarshan