Phelgm, have been nebulising , vomiting after meal. Normal?

Question
I have a two year old son, who has got phlegm and we have been nebulising him ...the issue now is he is vomitting after every meal. Is thsi common.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 45 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Does he complain of chest pain?
2.) Do he have fever?
3.) Since how long is he having this Problem?
4.) Which medicines is he on currently?
5.) Does he have Asthma?
6.) Does he spit out or swallow phlegm?

Kindly don't worry as Nausea and vomiting are common in children, and are usually part of a mild, short lived illness, If he has fever, it could be viral Infection. His medications can be one of the causative factors or swallowing of phlegm as well. Hence get him examined by his Pediatrician so that he/she may examine him in detail and rule out any underlying pathology. If there is no serious pathology and when he recovers from his illness, vomiting will eventually stop on it's own.

In the meantime, follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Feed him fresh home cooked food. Give him small frequent feeds instead of one large meal.
2.) Prevent him from eating outside or junk foods.
3.) Give him plenty of water and ORS feeds
4.) Let him get adequate rest.
5.) See to it that he takes his medicines regularly as directed by your Doctor and take him for regular follow up.
6.) If vomiting gets severe or any new symptoms crop up, take him to his Doctor immediately.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Phelgm, have been nebulising , vomiting after meal. Normal? 46 minutes later
1.) Does he complain of chest pain? - No
2.) Do he have fever? - Had fever but not now.
3.) Since how long is he having this Problem? - 4 Days
4.) Which medicines is he on currently? - Combivent 1.5 Ml + Saline - 1 ml Nebulisation
5.) Does he have Asthma? - No
6.) Does he spit out or swallow phlegm? - I guess he swallows some whlile he is vomitting

Thanks for your response. Hope to hear from you

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 2 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Your follow up history is fine, except for swallowing of Phlegm which induces vomiting. Encourage him to spit it out and not to swallow. Combivent is known to cause Nausea.

As I said earlier, take him to his Pediatrician, to get him evaluated in detail. Follow the lifestyle modification as advised and take him for regular follow up.

Hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.