Periods delayed, negative home pregnancy tests, rib cage pain, no abdominal pain. Could this be indicative of ectopic pregnancy?

My period is six days late. I have taken 3 home pregnancy tests, I took the first ones at two and three days late. Took the last one today. All were negative. I also have a sharp pain in my left rib cage, directly underneath my breast. I do not have any abdominal or pelvic pain. Could this be indicative of an ectopic pregnancy? The pain started two days ago.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 52 minutes later
Pain under the left rib cage with no pelvic or lower abdomen pain is not likely to be due to ectopic pregnancy. Also, since all your pregnancy tests are negative, pregnancy is not likely to be the cause. To be very sure, you can get your serum Hcg levels examined.
You need to consider other reasons of delayed periods like hormonal imbalance, emotional upset, anxiety, stress, or other medical conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland.
Please visit your gynecologist in case the periods do not start in the next week to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case to find out the cause so that treatment can be given accordingly.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.