Periodic outbreak of itchy single spots on legs that turn deep red after a while. Any ideas?

During the last 3 weeks or so, I keep getting extremely itchy single spots appearing on my legs, they seem to start as fairly pale coloured but after about a day they turn a bright deep red colour and are extremely itchy, size wise they are about 2 -3 millimetres after a week or so they gradually dissapear. They are completely intermittant on my legs with regard to their location, not necessaraly all together but spaced out. As I mentioned this has been occuring for about 3 maybe 4 weeks with new ones appearing randomly it seems. Any ideas? PS I'm male 53 years old.
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 hours later
You seem to be developing prurigo lesions. These are extremely itchy deep red to purple colored elevated skin lesions developing in response to insect bites, dry skin due to any cause like eczema, sun exposure, thyroid disorder or sometimes due to continuous scratching or idiopathically( when no cause can be ruled out). In your case it could be due to insect/ mosquito bite.

To treat the same
take oral antihistamine like cetirizine
Apply steroid cream twice in a day
Keep your legs well covered
Avoid sun
Kaam the area well moisturised.

Hope that answered your query. Should there be a question, please write back.