Ask a Urologist   »  

Penis bruise, bleeding during urination, swollen

Hi! my name is XXXXXXX 27 years of age.. Three days ago I was riding my
bike and had to make a sudden stop. I fell on the top bar of the bike and
bruised my penis.. It bleed for a couple of days when I had to urinate. bleeding has stopped but It is still swollen.. What should I do??
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 22 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on. In reference to the trauma which you suffered to the penis you also likely injured the urethra to some degree. This is why you noticed some bleeding and probably some pain or burning with urination. This is not uncommon with an injury to the genitals.

Right now it is important to monitor for a couple of things. First of all I would continue to monitor your urination to see if you notice any more blood. It is also important that over the next several days you keep an eye on the degree of swelling what you are experiencing. If you are having difficulty emptying your bladder. This is something you would want to discuss with your water will help mitigate some of the swelling.

Also you might consider using some anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or Naprosyn. Use these as directed on the bottle to help with some of the discomfort. They may also help with some of the swelling.

Again I would limit any, to the genitals for the time being. This would include any kind of sexual activity or masturbation while the penis continues to heal and while the urethra continues to heal. If you experience any significant worsening of your symptoms I really think you should visit with your primary care provider.

I thank you again for submitting your query. I hope you have found my answer to be both helpful and informative. If you have additional questions regarding this I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert