Ask a Urologist   »  

Penis bending during erection, Peyronie's disease, no white plaques around scrotum, masturbating, abstinence. Straighten?

Question
Hello doctor,
I am 68 years now. I am in abstinence since 8 years. I am taking hypertensive drugs since 30 years. Because of strain resulting in ejaculation, we have stopped sex since 8 years. About 5 years back i have just by chance indulged in masturbation. Since then I am indulging at least once a month. Previously when i was 20 years old, i used to indulge in this. since 3 years I am observing my penis is bending backwards when it stiffens. I am told that it is peyronie disease . Is it so? if so do i have to discontinue the masturbation? I am not bothered about intercourse and all that at this age. how can i straighten the penis. I am clean. there are no white plaques around scrotum.Kindly advise
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later
Hello

Curvature of the penis or peyronie's disease is an abnormal bend in the penis that occurs during erection. This is common after the age of 50 and in most of the cases it happens due to formation of a scar tissue in the penis- may be after a trauma, or age related degenerative fibrosis.

The problem can only be diagnosed after a physical examination by a urologist and if there is no associated pain. etc then no treatment is needed.

Many therapies like steroid injections, verapamil, Vitamin E supplements have been tried but surgery is the only treatment which is indicated if there are any painful erections.

You may get the initial physical examination, relevant tests and treatment done under care of 'Urologist'.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Regards.