Pelvic scan showed Polycystic ovary. Suggest treatment?

Mar 2016

I recently got a pelvic scan done. The report had a mention of polycystic ovarian- right ovary. I want to know if this is normal. If not then what is recommended treatment?
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ovarian cyst is not always normal. Take Treatment.

Detailed Answer:

First thing, PCO (Poly Cystic Ovary) is a most common endocrine disorder and associated with hormonal imbalance and impairment of ovulation.

Functional ovarian cysts are normal and they usually do not hamper period cycle or fertility. However, few of them need proper treatment to regularize period and get symptomatic relief.

TREATMENT: Basic treatment includes androgen drug, ovulation induction medicine, metformin (to reduce insulin resistance) and other supportive therapy. These are very much useful to restore regular menstrual cycle among most of the women. Kindly, consult with your gynecologist for complete prescription after overall examination

In addition, you have to follow some basic things to control PCOS and regularize menstrual cycle. These are:

1) Weight reduction or control of body weight by regular physical exercise- It has key role to correct hormonal imbalance.

2) Take low carbohydrate diet with supportive medication as prescribed by your doctor. Avoid fatty/ junk/ spicy foods. Drink more water & eat green vegetables.

3) You must avoid mental stress or depression by regular yoga/ meditation/ breathing exercise (15-30 min). Take sound sleep & keep bowel habit regular.

In failed medical therapy/ resistant case, laparoscopic ovarian drilling is the procedure of choice for PCOS. It can help to trigger ovulation naturally and restore menstrual cycle. Recurrence rate is quite less in 5-10 yrs.

Hope, above information is helpful to you. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen