Ask a Urologist   »  

Pelvic pain on back and sides, abdominal pain. Treated for UTI with e coli. Symptoms persisting

Hi, ive recently had a UTI with ecoli in (finished the tablets on sunday) but still have pelvic pain on my sides & lower back & feel the need to wee quite often & a bit of abdominal pain but the urine sample i sent yesterday showed there was no infection, is my body trying to get back to normal or could i have a bowel problem?
Posted Mon, 4 Jun 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 14 minutes later

I would consider that you are healing from the UTI.The pain you are experiencing could be due to the wounds created by the infection and the pain is indication of it getting healed.The wound healing occurs with laying of a healing tissue called granulation tissue which is very sensitive and give rise to pain when the part involved moves or comes in contact with urine.

Need not worry and drink good amount of water which will fasten the healing.Also do take Cranberry juice every alternate day for 5 days from now it will help in preventing infections in near future.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Pelvic pain on back and sides, abdominal pain. Treated for UTI with e coli. Symptoms persisting 44 minutes later
Sorry to bother you again, i have also just read up on pelvic inflammatory disease, could this be possible for me as well? As ive heard its quite a XXXXXXX condition to have, do I need to ring my doctors in the morning & suggest it?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 34 minutes later
Hi again,

Since you had history of UTI, I strongly believe that the pain is due to the healing UTI itself.

PID (Pelvic inflammatory disease) is of course a serious illness but will present with severe pain and high grade fever.

Need not worry , based on your symptoms and history I do not suspect PID by any chance.

Wish you good health.