Pelvic CT scan showed pleural thickening in lung. Wondering about it

General Surgeon
I had a pelvic CT scan done in December and it showed minimal left pleural thickining in the lung. The only reason I know this is because I got a copy of the report. My Doctor didn't say anything about it so I thought it was nothing to be concerned with, but now I am wondering about it.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

You have mentioned you got the CT scan of pelvis done in December. As the lung don't lie in the pelvis , it would be impossible to see any pleural thickening unless your radiologist scanned the chest as well.
i would suggest you upload a copy of the report so that we can take this forward. Generally, in pelvic CT scan, one can never comment on lungs ,as lungs lie in the thorax (chest cavity).
Awaiting your reply.
Follow-up: Pelvic CT scan showed pleural thickening in lung. Wondering about it 2 hours later
I do not know how to upload the report so that you can see it. If you can tell me how to do this I will do it, but it says in part of the report Scans through the lung bases reveal minimal left pleural thickening. No infiltrate, nodule or mass is seen. Then it goes on to talk about other organs in the body.
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 12 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

Minimal left pleural thickening can occur due to many reasons like old well treated infection or allergy.

Minimal left pleural thickening of lung bases on CT (Computerized Tomography) scan can only be seen if CT upper abdomen is also done

There don`t appear to be any cause of worry at this stage.

Clinical examination by physician can only reveal & help in finding the cause.

Thanking you for writing again.