Peeling on the palms and diarrhea. What can be the cause ?

i have peeling on my palms and have had diarrhea for a few days not sure why.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Diarrhea is a self limiting disorder. If it persists for more than few days then other intestinal causes need to be investigated like-
1.Irritable bowel syndrome- IBS can be helped by eating a proper diet and taking medication.
2.Crohn's Disease or UC- These are autoimmune gut disorders. This causes sores in your intestines, stomach, and/or throat which causes blood and mucus in the stool.
3. Emotional stress and anxiety.
Other causes include- Lactose intolerance or gluten sensitivity, intestinal polyp or gastritis.
Please visit your gastroenterologist to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case so that proper treatment can be initiated early.

For temporary relief start eating low fiber (no more then 2 grams), and a low resin diet. That means that you should avoid nuts, popcorn, anything with seeds, or caffeine.
The peeling on your palms can be due to eczema, exposure to soaps and detergents, dermatitis, etc. Usually it subsides by using a hydrocortisone 1% ointment. If it persists then consulting a dermatologist will help.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.