Pectoral muscle has indention. Chiroprocter said slight curvature of spine, pulled in muscle. Normal? Easy to heal?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My right pectoral muscle has an indention going from the middle of pectoral to the arm pit area like it is missing a sliver of muscle. I have never had a chest injury but my chiroprocter said a highschool injury to neck and slight curvature of spine has caused the nerves to pull in the muscle. After a few months of adjustments the indention of the pectoral muscle has lessened but not back to normal. And no more progress since then but I also had to change chiroprocters. The new one said I could have lost that rest of the muscle due to inactivity and the nerves. My question is: Is this common and is it that easy to lose that part of the muscle for good? I would think that even with it pulled in it would still get some sort of exercise and could lack of proper nerve communication kill the muscle?? If so, why did some come back after adjustments. Also, if the muscle is not lost, can I get the pectoral muscle back to normal? Any suggestions? I guess I am just scared I lost that muscle for good and for me, it doesn't look good. Side note, the right pectoral is weaker than left but that is probably to be expected. Thanks
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
After an injury or a nerve damage, the muscle can get atrophied due to disuse. Since you have recovered partially after the treatment, there are chances of full recovery also. Disuse of muscle or a nerve injury does not kill the muscle rather it decreases the muscle mass.
To get back your muscle mass, regular exercise and physiotherapy will be helpful. This might also help in the recovery of lost strength in your right pectoral.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.