Patchy hair loss, itchy scalp. Waiting for the blood report. Treatment?

My hair has fallen out only on the left side of the back of my head.
I already have female pattern baldness in the top of my head. It's
just all of a sudden all fell out completely.....right now it's trying to
grow back somewhat. I went to the Dermatologist and he did a culture that came back negative so he then drew my blood it's another week before the results come back i'm having a fit just waiting. I'm curioius to find out why all of a sudden my hair fell out and I had a itchy scalp along with two bumps in the bald area.
I was in Iraq when this happen but now i'm back in the states.
I use perms about every 6 weeks or at least I did. Since the hair
loss i've gone natural. This has been a problem for the last 2 months. Any advice on how to treat this problem. I'm 47.. black
female..don't take birth control...I weigh 120 pounds and i'm 5'2.

thank you XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Hair loss like yours is seen in many conditions like Systemic diseases, Poor Nutritional Status, Scalp infections like bacterial or fungal, Poor Care of Hair, Hormonal changes etc.

Proper investigations are needed to find out the cause and then to treat accordingly.
Since the culture came negative, bacterial and fungal infections are ruled out.

Stress and lowered body immunity or change in environment and dietary habits also is responsible for hair loss.

First of all, give your diet an overhaul if you're lacking vital nutrients for growth and switch to foods for healthy hair like food XXXXXXX in protein, vitamins (mainly vit A and vit C) and other micronutrient like zinc, iron and copper. Also eat a healthy balanced meal, use mild shampoo and lather gently and rub gently with towel to dry you hair. Try and avoid using blow dryers.

Biotin is present in foods like eggs and liver and is considered good for hair growth. So in addition to these foods, biotin supplements can be taken.

There are many medications to improve hair loss like fFinasteride, Dutasteride and topically applied Minoxidil but these are available only under prescription.

Your dermatologist or trichologist (hair expert) will take care of the prescription medicines that are required in your case after physical examination.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.