Participating in trailwalk. Suggest preventive measures and medicines for blisters, chaffing and muscle soreness

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi I am participating in a 100 kms trailwalk to be finished in 48 hours. I need some preventive and curative recommendations or medicines for A. Chaffing B. Blisters - tape, cream et al C. Exhaustion and Fatigue D. Excessive Muscle soreness E. Electrolyte that should be consumed and how often Thanks
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Answers for your questions Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. For exhaustion and fatigue the best therapy would be taking rest. However as this is not possible for the next 48 hours it would be better to run in short bouts with intermittent rest. Take rest atleast after every 30 min. Regarding the muscle soreness, mild painkillers like crocin should be good enough with plenty of water. For electrolyte, it would nice to drink oral rehydrtion solution like Electral instead of water as it has suffficient glucose and salt and water. If there is a problem with the availabiliyy of medicines then even lime juice shouls be fine. Regarding the chaffing and blisters you can apply zinc oxide cream or moisturising lotions. Try to avoid pressure on these lesions but if it is unavoidable then just try to apply plenty of hydartion and have plenty of cushioning in your foot wear. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow-up: Participating in trailwalk. Suggest preventive measures and medicines for blisters, chaffing and muscle soreness 35 minutes later
thank you doctor one last question - what is the treatment of blisters should any of us get them ? what is taping and how does it reduce blisters ? which tape shd we use

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Taping can reduce the blisters Detailed Answer: Hello Taping is a process which reduces the blister size. It form an extra layer over the blister and reduces the friction of the blister with the underlying tissue. However it benefits only if properly done by experts. And it should always be tried for prevention in the test run and not during the main run. Leukotape P is a tape which is the most popular. However it should be applied by a person who has previous experience in applying the tape. Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD