Pain,stiffness,swelling in knees,X-ray,arthritis developing,knee supplements,lower back pain,drinks coke 3-4 litres per day

ENT Specialist
Hi, 2.5 years ago I gave up drinking coca-cola(regular) - I was drinking anywhere between 3 and 4 litres per day. Around this time I started to have issues with my knees - pain, stiffness & swelling. Over the last 2 days, I have drank about 4 litres of coca-cola and today I have noticed that my knees feel much better - I can move them freely without pain and the stiffness has disappeared. I have just put 2 & 2 together. I have previously had an xray and my doctor said artrithis is developing (early stages). I have taken various knee / joint supplements & and while some do seem to ease the pain and stiffness, none have had the same effect as drinking coco-cola. I also suffer from lower back pain and this too is so much better this morning. Can you provide any explanation for this - I really don't want to continue drinking large quantities of coco-cola but oh I feel like I have new knees today. Do you know what is in coco-cola that is having such a marvellous effect and is there a natural supplement which I could take which would have the same effect?
Thank you
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank You for your query.

When you consume such a large quantity of Coca Cola, you are taking a significant amount of the following substances. Though it is not possible to pin- point the exact ingredients, these contents may be helping relieve your arthritis:

1. Nutmeg Oil & Coca (anti rheumatic)
2. Neroli Oil & Vanilla (anxiolytic, improves circulation)
3. Coriander, Cinnamon and Citrus content (antioxidant)
4. Large quantity of water (large component)
5. Carbon Dioxide (improves circulation, drainage of toxins)
6. Of doubtful value, probably doing more harm than good are Caffeine, Phosphoric Acid (interfere in Calcium metabolism in large quantities) & Sugar, artificial sweeteners like aspartame.

You may try out some of these ingredients off and on, in the order that I have listed them.
Do let me know if you have any success.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.