Ask a Urologist   »  

Painless swelling on the penis. Should I be worried?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Help , I have a swelling on my penis, it is painless but very worrying. please see attached images.
Posted Fri, 22 Jun 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
I have seen the images attached with the query.
It seems that you are suffering from either:

1.) Balanitis
2.) Balanoposthitis

Balanitis is the inflammation foreskin and head of the penis. It may happen due to poor hygiene or use of Harsh soaps which has not been washed. Kindly don't worry as there nothing seems be serious.

You should be getting yourself examined by a Urologist so that he may examine you and run few tests.
But this is most likely a benign condition and heal on its own and subside on its own.

Application of 1 % Hydrocortisone cream to the red and inflammed part of the penis might help reduce the discomfort and sensitivity.

In addition taking medication like Ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day will help in early resolution of the symptoms.

In addition development of symptoms including fever, mucopurulent discharge, burning micturition, ulceration, bleeding from the discolored areas of the penis and enlarged lymph nodes in the groin are symptoms that you should watch out for. In such a situation consulting a doctor for a examination and STD testing might be helpful.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Painless swelling on the penis. Should I be worried? 6 hours later
Thank you, I have noticed a small black dot in the centre, could it be an ingrowing hair from shaving? How long does this usually take to heal? I am just about to travel to XXXXXXX my new girlfriend and this couldnt have happened at a worse time.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 36 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Ingrowing hair is less likely as there is no pain. You can also apply neosporin ointment locally to avoid infection.
The lesion is likely to subside in next 4-5 days.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.