Ask a Dentist   »  

Painless purple vein on roof of mouth, white patches in mouth, raised patch on gum. Is it lichen planus?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
I have noticed for sometime a purplish/blackish vein on the roof of my mouth in the part that faces me when I open my mouth you can say it is on the upper XXXXXXX of my palet but on the lower right quadrant of the roof of the mouth. It is not paining or anything . There are also some mild whitish patches in my mouth besides a linear while patch in between the lower lip and the gum on the right side, which is raised and hard to the touch but not painful, that one doctor had said was lichen planus.It has not perceptibly changed in shape in the last six seven months. But I am on no specific medication for that.
I take pan with tobacco but don't currently smoke and have abstained from alcohol for the last nerly 22 months. I was a heavy drinker before that and have ethanol induced compensated CLD as a result, I also have hypertension and diabetes type 2 both of which are under fairly control with a glycosylated Hb score of around 6.2 ( as on 23.10.2011) and BP of about 120./90. My liver enzymes are within normal range with an AG ratio of 1.15 ( as on 24.11.2011)
Is the vein in the mouth and the white patches worrisome and what should I do
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 12 hours later
Thank you for posting your query!
Asymptomatic purplish/blackish areas may be normal variant or consequence of smoking earlier, however, a final conclusion may be drawn only after direct evaluation by dentist. If it is a normal variant, it does not need any treatment.
The linear white patch which has been diagnosed as Lichen planus gets aggravated in people with more psychological stress and is sometimes habit related. Since you do not have any symptoms, there is no need of any treatment but follow up visits with your treating physician are required to keep this patch under observation.
I would strongly recommend you to quit taking tobacco in every form since tobacco is associated with a host of adverse effects ranging from cancer to heart disease. Additionally, a stress-free life would also help. You could reduce your stress levels by practicing yoga and meditation. This may reverse the white patches of Lichen planus to normal mucosa.
Your reports are normal and a healthy lifestyle would help you remain in good stead for a long time.
I hope I have answered your query.
Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.
With regards