Painless lumps spreading on hands and thighs. How to prevent them?

I have small swelling under my skin on my hand and my thighs. They were few in number before but are increasing. They are colourless and do not pain when pressed or touched.
Can you tell me what could could be the reason for the same and how can i cure or prevent the same from happening/increasing?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

There are couple of possibilities in your case. The common one which I can think could be is of Lipoma.

Lipoma is basically a bunch of fat cells that accumulate under skin. As you are having, they are painless and small in size.

They can increase in size and number with time. Again this is not a rule. Means they may remain steady for years together.

The cause of this is still not properly known. They can form after some trauma or otherwise. In some cases family tendency also plays a role.

They are benign in nature and do not require any treatment unless you have some cosmetic reasons for the same.

I would like to advise you to a visit your primary care physician or skin specialist and get this diagnosed once to have peace of mind.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.

In case you do not have follow up query, please accept the answer.