Painless lump on heel of foot. What could it be and how can I make it go away?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi there. I have a painless lump on the heel of my left foot. It is hard, but it wasn't a few days ago. It is less than an inch long. What could it be and how can I make it go away? I read online that heat compresses may help.
Posted Fri, 29 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
A small painless lump on the heel may be due to
1. Sebaceous cyst: It is filled with a soft, whitish brown material that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. This material is called sebum. If this protruding is accompanied by pain as well then there is a possibility of infection.
2. Corn- A collection dead exfoliated cells.
3. Benign tumor like lipoma/ neurofibroma.
A direct examination by the doctor will help in exact diagnosis. An FNAC or MRI scan might be helpful in a more specific diagnosis.

Till then, you get this lump examined from a doctor, apply warm compresses on the lump because if it is a swollen sebaceous gland or boil then application of warm compresses will help.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.