Painful swelling near collar bone going across to arm pit

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have pain full swelling on and near left collar bone going across and in to arm pit
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
A painful swelling on and near the collar bone is likely to be due to enlarged lymph nodes. Since the swelling is painful, it is more likely to be due to a infection near the area.
It is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Other causes include allergic reactions or some malignancy. So it is best to rule out infections first and then move on to investigate other causes of swollen lymph node.

For this, a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) of the lymph nodes and swollen glands is the best test. FNAB is aspiration of the material of the glands which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe. This will confirm the diagnosis.
Till then you can take pain relievers such as dicolfenac/ibuprofen and an antibiotic after the consultation of your doctor.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.