Ask a Dentist   »  

Painful mouth, gums, teeth, swollen, irritated tongue, high fever, broken tooth. Could it be a tooth abscess?

Hi there I went to the doctor the other day for what I thought was possibly strep throat and still could be but I have new symptoms.... My entire mouth hurts gums, teeth, swoolen and irritated tounge, i can only drink water which still hurts alittle.. Do you have any other possiblities? I'm concerned because I have had a high fever for 4 days now. I looked online and the closest match to my symptoms was a tooth abcess which I do have a broken tooth. What should I do?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern for these symptoms and I agree with you that the first possibility is of course of a tooth abscess. I suggest you to consult an ENT specialist or a dentist immediately and get prescribed a course of oral antibiotics.

If the abscess if severe then it may need an incision and drainage. If left untreated then it may cause further complications and even periodontal disease.

It is unlikely to be due to streptococcal sore throat but to complete rule it out, a rapid strep test can be done. The "rapid Strep" test can usually be done in the office and takes 15-20 minutes. If the result is negative, it is often followed with a strep culture. If either of these is positive, the sore throat is generally treated with penicillin or another antibiotic.

Till you get it examined, do warm saline gargles and take some anti inflammatory pain killer like Ibuprofen or Diclofenac under a doctor’s prescription.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.