Painful lump in the groin area, pain radiating to legs. What are the causes?

Excellent

Question
experiencing pain originating very close to the left groin area- this area appears to be a lump (about 5" down the leg, )but not a defined lump at the top, and i cannot move this 'lumpy' area. pain trails further down the leg as well. This pain is felt when i walk especially when releasing pressure on walking, and when touched.
Pain was first felt about 15 hrs ago. It is not in the area a nodule would be it is on the leg. The area feels 'sort of 'lumpy/grainy' . i can trace the pain with my fingers to about midway down the leg. The pain feels sore, not sharp.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 hours later

Your question seems to be challenging for an expert to answer without physical examination.

I will come up with my possibilities which are consistent with the description.

1) Inflammatory swelling arising from any of the neighboring soft tissues such as lymphatics and lymph node. They are the ones which produce pain and tenderness

2) Phlebitis - An infection of the long saphenous vein which comes from the lower leg and drain in femoral vein at the groin.

3) Myalgia - This is a possibility because the pain increases on flexion at the hip joint (while releasing pressure during walk). The flexors of the hip joint are Iliac and Psoas muscles.

I would ask you to observe the characteristics of pain and check if it recurs after taking an over the counter Ibuprofen, 400mg thrice a day 8 hrs apart after a meal. The pain and lumps arising out of the above reasons respond with Anti inflammatories like Ibuprofen.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer if only you do not have follow up questions left.

Follow-up: Painful lump in the groin area, pain radiating to legs. What are the causes? 2 days later
Thank you for your assistance, I do realise how difficult itis to diagnose without proper assessment. I took your advice and took ibuprofen, which gave me some relief, but i stopped as i did not want to mask the symptoms without getting appropriate help. I saw my GP later that day who said it appeared to be muscular, i disagreed. So with your suggestion of 1 and 2, and the pain getting worse, i visited my local A&E this morning; they did bloods and scanned the areas. Your diagnosis of 1&2 were correct. An infected gland with pain radiating along the nodules down the leg to ankles. A prescription of Abx. and pain relief. Hope it will resolve

Again, thank you.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 21 hours later

Hi and thanks again,

I am pleased to know that a cause has been found and you are being treated. Hope you get well soon.

If you are satisfied with my answer and wish to post queries to me in future, bring it to my attention "Attn Dr. Mazumdar". I also request you another favour. If there are no more queries to me, please close this discussion and rate my answer. I will appreciate your reviews.

Best Wishes