Painful itching near fracture site on foot. Can it be nerve damage from the fall?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am having an intense (4-5 on a 10 scale) episodes of a painful itching in the area of my foot that had soft tissue damage after a fracture of M2,M3, and M4, as well as a spiral closed fracture of the lower fibula with involvement of the lateral malleolus, There was some indication of some damage to both the Peroneus Longus and Peroneus Brevis tendons.

The itch feels like it is 1/4 BELOW the skin, and only in the area that I had a hematoma, on the edge of the foot towards the top of the foot and right above/in the tendon that crosses the ankle, the Inferior Extensor Retinculum.

It started as an intermittent nuisance, but some days that I have been working out (just walking) that night it really bothers me before falling asleep. I put on a cold compress and sleep with my foot elevated,

Is there more I should know or be doing? Is it as I suspect nerve damage from my fall (that caused the damages)? Should I press to be seen by a specialist?
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Please let me know duration of your injury and fracture.

Awaiting your reply.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow-up: Painful itching near fracture site on foot. Can it be nerve damage from the fall? 9 hours later
Fracture occurred on Sept 23, 2013. I was out of the orthopedic "boot" and air cast the last week of November 2013, after x-rays showed healing of the M Fractures and the Fibula. Been on gradual increase of activities as condition allows. Had a follow-up in January when everything was appearing "nice and normal."

At the follow-up, there was minimal pain/itch symptoms. As I have increased my exercise routine now up to 1/2 mile to a mile walks; (not near my 2-3 one per fracture), I am experiencing this more itch than pain symptom more often. Since my primary does not have Saturday/Sunday hours, a friend recommended this site, at least for peace of mind.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

The sensation of burning and itching are commonly associated with healing fracture.In healing fracture there is soft callus formation which can sometime irritate the nerve endings.
So do not worry about it. I suggest you to apply ice over it and take anti-inflammatory drug like ibuprofen to calm it down.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.