Painful cystic acne in pubic area before periods. Any treatment?

i keep getting large painful cystic acne on my pubic area and want to know why and what i can do about them. when I do get them its usually premenstrual and unless it opens and drains on its own which is a mess, they take weeks to go away and are always painful. i have tried popping them before but its very painful and then looks bruised.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 53 minutes later

Large painful cystic acne on the pubic area near your periods is most likely due to hormonal changes in your body during that period.
If you have other features of hormonal acne like irregular periods , facial hair,scalp hair loss, weight gain, acne over chin & jaw line , aggravation of acne two days prior to periods , then I would suggest you to go for certain hormonal assessment tests like Serum Testosteron,LH/FSH ratio, DHEA-S etc along with a lower abdomen ultra sound .This is to rule out PCOD( poly-cystic ovary disease) or a adrenal cause of acne.
You need aggressive treatment for these under the guidance of your dermatologist.
Hormonal treatment like Dianette or XXXXXXX will help along with treatment with retinoids. But these medicines require proper follow up and dermatologist supervision.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: Painful cystic acne in pubic area before periods. Any treatment? 41 minutes later
What can I do at home to help with them to get them to go away quicker since they do eventually go away. Also will anything help with the pain ?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

At home you can follow general cleanliness measures, do a hot fomentation, apply a local antibiotic cream like neosporin or bacitracin.

Do clean the area daily with soap and water. Use cotton underwear.

To relieve the pain and inflammation, you can take tablet Ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) 400mg, one tablet after breakfast and dinner for three days.

Taking broad spectrum antibiotics orally will also help you but you need to visit your doctor.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.