Painful constipation, unable to pass stool, taken stool softeners. Blood after bowel movements. Any suggestions?

I've had painful constipation for the past five days. I am unable to pass stool - yet constantly feel like I have to go. Almost seem to get it through but can't push it past. Once or twice over these five days I've managed to get some liquidy stool pieces through but not much. Have taken stool softeners, oral laxative, eating prunes, etc. I am 40 year old male and have never had this issue before. Spending long periods of time straining painfully to try to have a BM with no success. Also about 3 weeks ago I noticed some bright red blood on the tp after BM (not accompanied by any pain) but haven't seen any blood recently. The issue now is not being able to get this stool out (in spite of agonizing attempts to do so) and constantly feeling the need to go. I have a doctor's appt but it isn't for another 10 days. Any suggestions for what to do in the mean time? Does this warrant going to an urgent care clinic? I am not sure what to do.
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 2 hours later
Hello, AAAAA
Sounds like you have a slow intestinal contractions.
You have tried taking stool softeners and eating high
fiber fruit such as prunes. It is very important that your
fluid intake is adequate.You do need to have enough
fiber on your diet.If you are not eating enough fresh
fruits and veegeyables on a regular basis, you should
do this. Instead of straining, try a simple suppository
such as dulcolax or even a glycerine suppository.
The bleeding you see after a hard bowel movement
especially with straining is due to small hemorrhoids
or a fissure.Using some rectal cream containing
cortisone and a local anesthetic would be helpful.
Wish you well,
Follow-up: Painful constipation, unable to pass stool, taken stool softeners. Blood after bowel movements. Any suggestions? 11 minutes later
Thank you for your response.

Is there anything else I can do to get this stool passed? It is really painful to not be able to have a BM when I feel it not being able to get pushed out. You mentioned the suppository. If that doesn't work, should I try an enema? Anything besides prunes I should be eating? Is this worth going to urgent care or do you think I can wait for a doctor's appt next week?
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 5 minutes later
It is perfectly use a fleet's enema if the suppository
does not work within 30 minutes.