Pain under right ribs. Had kidney stone. Blood work is fine. What could this be?

General Surgeon
I have noticed the last couple of days I am sore under my right ribs about one third the way to my belt. I feel it as I sit here and it is also sore to the touch but not pain. I just had a kidney stone on the left side blasted a couple of weeks ago and all my blood work prior was fine. Not other symtoms.
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Upper right abdominal pain is usually caused by gallstones. It usually radiates to the back. The pain should get more intense when knocking gently into last ribs.
Stomach issue like peptic ulcer or stomach inflammation can be also the reason (ribs knocking does not cause the pain).

I suggest you to have abdominal ultrasound done first. Lab tests are usually negative with both conditions. If the ultrasound will be also negative, gastroscopy should be next.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Pain under right ribs. Had kidney stone. Blood work is fine. What could this be? 9 minutes later
but it is not pain - it is a dull soreness. And sore to the touch. Do you think it could just me muscular. I did do some new exercises on Monday. Wouldn't gallstones be more pain not a dull soreness feeling?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
When the pain is caused by some abdominal organ, it is usually dull. Its because the pain from this organs is not precise. So gallstones can give such symptoms.

But if you associate the pain appearance with recent physical activity, this can be the reason. You can wait few days to see if the pain is getting better (muscles pain should get better when not using this muscles). If not than start looking for other reason.

Hope this will help.