Pain started in lower back on the left side. It

Question
Pain started in lower back on the left side. It then felt like my abdomen on the side was painful and maybe related. This am the pain was moving into my spinal area. Are these all connected. The pain in the abdomen area fells like menstrual pain and sometimes like gas.
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2017 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hot compress should provide relief

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query carefully. Your back pain could be due to muscle spasm. Hot compress should provide relief.

The vicious cycle of pain and spasm needs to be broken and I would insist you to take paracetamol or acetaminophen 500 mg two tablets together twice or thrice daily for next 3 days after some food.

This should ease the problem and make it go away. If it does not spondylosis could be another cause to consider. Since it's been a few years already, I would suggest you get another repeat X-Ray of the Lumbosacral spine (AP and lateral) done and to see a physical therapist with the reports. Based on the findings he would be able to demonstrate to you proper exercises that should provide relief.

The abdominal pain is seemingly unrelated. Your problem seems to be due to gastritis or gastroesophageal reflux.

The gastrointestinal tract is having a forward propulsive movement (peristalsis) that moves the food material forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally expelled as feces. In case, this movement gets hampered, food along with the digestive juices would stagnate, stomach acid will reflux back into the food pipe and on the other hand, the bowel habits get irregular too. Degradation of undigested food in the intestines by the intestinal bacteria would lead to the excess gas formation.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if at all do)
* Please continue taking Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isphaghula/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.

* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

Hopefully, that should help.

Feel free to write back.