Ask a Urologist   »  

Pain on the top of penis while urination, hurts while bowels. Remedy?

I have a dull pain at the top base of my penis shaft. I urinate just fine but it makes the dull pain into a sharp pain. It's been going on for the last few days. It even hurts when I have a bowel movement but gives it a slight relief after it passes.
Posted Sat, 7 Jul 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Rudramani Swami 1 hour later

Recent onset dull pain at the top base of penis which worsens with urination is suggestive of urethritis and cystitis. When it occurs at the start of urination it indicates probably urethritis (infection and inflammation of urethra) and if it occurs at the end of urination most probably it is cystitis (bladder infection).

If I were to be your treating physician, I would recommend you to get your urine tested - routine and microscopy and start you on a course of antibiotics. Please visit your nearest physician and discuss about it.

In the meantime drink plenty of fluids. Cranberry juice will benefit you.

If the symptoms don’t respond to 7 to 14 days of antibiotic treatment then you may have to do urine culture / sensitivity and ultrasound of abdomen / pelvis to rule out drug resistance or other causes such as renal stones.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available for further queries if any.