Pain on putting pressure on metatarsal bone, cortisone injected, X-ray normal, history of IBS. Causes ?

Oncologist
Question
i have pain when i put pressure on my fifth metatarsal bone xray was all clear and have had injected with cortisone and still no help.Im worried of bone cancer but doctor said it could me neuroma but its on my small toe on the side and painful only when i put pressure on it.i am 33 year old woman 62kg and 5foot 2".no other pain quiet healthy apart from irritable bowel syndrome.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for submitting the question.

Your question is a very good one and I will provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

First of all let me reassure you with that you do not have a primary bone cancer. This would be exceedingly rare and I can tell you that I have never seen this in my years of practice.

The most likely contribute factor to what you are experiencing is a moderate degree of inflammation. There is certainly a possibility that a neuroma may be playing the role.

At this point I have two recommendations for you. First of all I recommend you start taking a 10 day course of anti-inflammatory medication in the form of ibuprofen. I recommend you take 600 mg by mouth three times a day for this period of time. In addition if your symptoms persist I recommend you revisit this with your doctor or podiatrist and consider obtaining and MRI of your foot. This would further help delineate the cause of your problem.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert.

Follow-up: Pain on putting pressure on metatarsal bone, cortisone injected, X-ray normal, history of IBS. Causes ? 6 hours later
Sorry forgot to mention i havr had this pain for over six to seven months.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 hours later
Hello and thank you for the follow up.

The fact you have had this pain for six or seven months makes me think even more that this is related to inflammation. This information is most likely due to Arthritis and possibly a Neuroma. I really think that a focused consultation and examination by an expert podiatrist with possible MRI will really help us get to the bottom of the issue. It may be that you require some type of surgical intervention in the future.

If there is one thing I can suggest it would be that you might benefit from a course of steroid therapy. Medical steroids are often used to help address inflammation and in your taste prednisone may be helpful for 10 to 14 days to see if you might experience symptomatic improvement. This is something you might discuss with your doctors.

I thank you again for the query. I hope you found my responses to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Wish you speedy recovery.

Regards.