Pain on left lateral knee area. What could be the reason?

Hi, i went for a 6 mile walk and when i came home my left lateral knee area hurt bafly. Thought i just over did it , but it still hurts. Its been 2 months !
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 8 minutes later
It can be a lateral collateral ligament injury. If you dont have edema and severe pain it could be mild injury. In this case you should immobilise knee for nearly four weeks and take NSAIDs like naproxen or diclofenac 50mg twice daily.for immobilization you can use elastic bandage also.If pain is severe then better consult an orthopedician.
Follow-up: Pain on left lateral knee area. What could be the reason? 24 minutes later
But how did i injure it ? I didnt fall or anything.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Overuse injury

Detailed Answer:

As you said it could be overuse the ligament might be stretched or torn. 6 mile run or walk is a long distance. A non athlete's ligaments are fragile or a one time work out like this can cause painful moments.

If necessary it may require an MRI to ascertain the underlying problem. As of now I recommend a visit to an Orthopedic surgeon for evaluation since it is already 2 months. Ligament injuries if not treated early can lead to long term pain and worry.

Hope this helps.