Pain on left lateral calf,obese,bilateral knee.Cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
CC: Excruciating left lateral side of calf pain (? peroneal muscles), a 7-8 on a scale of 0 (no pain) to 10; starts without any obvious reason, lasts several hours; heating pad seems to help a little bit.
I am a 70 y.o. obese (BMI 38) female w/bilateral knee OA; I was told it's patchy bone to bone on the left (where the calf pain occurs). I am not a runner. I can not take NSAID (have ITP). Went to a podiatrist - he did not know what causes it (I thought it's some kind of leg imbalance because of my knee OA).
What kind of specialist do I need to see?
What can I do at home if it hits me again?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. A.K.Venkatachalam 17 hours later

I have read the symptoms.

You are most likely suffering from Osteoarthritis. This may need surgery if your pain continues.
You should see an orthopedic surgeon - Knee replacement specific.

If the problem is affecting the quality of life and interfering with your household chores and your life, it is unlikely that any home remedies help.

However you may try Ultrasonic therapy at home. The other alternative is Hot fomenation. Some clinicians also offer waxing. However the physiotherapist recommendations are more valid.

This site, WWW.WWWW.WW offers information on knee replacement options.

Hope I answered your queries. Let me know if you have more queries, I will be available to reply.

Follow-up: Pain on left lateral calf,obese,bilateral knee.Cause? 17 hours later
My MUSCLE hurts ==>> Peroneal muscle. Cramps. Very painful.
Unable to find the meaning of Hot fomenation.
Answered by Dr. A.K.Venkatachalam 7 hours later
Hi and thanks again.

Hot fomentation refers to application of moist heat on the affected region - the calf muscles.

You could apply hot water bags on the calf muscles. They are effective in reducing pain and inflammation. There are muscle relaxants available for immediate pain relief. Speak to the pharmacist at the store if they are available for you.

As mentioned in my previous reply, the symptoms that you have described is probably associated with osteoarthritis. Consider consulting an orthopedic surgeon. Knee replacement surger is probably entailed.

Hope my answers are adequate and informative.