Pain on hips, soreness in tailbone, later looked as pimple / blood bister, HIV +ve with undetectable viral loads since long

Age: 35
Sex: Male
Height: 6'
Weight: 185#
On Thursday (four days ago now) I noticed pain on my hips from a tight belt I was wearing. That evening I developing a chaffing sore directly to the left of my tailbone. I initially thought that the irritation of my work clothes was the culprit.

The sore has a hard lump inside and it originally felt like it may be an oddly placed pimple or skin irritation because of its location.

After aggravating it by inadvertently scratching it and applied pressure from sitting, etc. It now looks like a blood blister.

As of Saturday night (last night), the achy pain in my hips where my waistline sits is becoming worse....almost like I'm bruised but without any skin discoloration.

I am a healthy HIV+ individual with undetectable viral loads since 2007 and a CD4 count that stays above 600.

As it is Sunday, I'm curious if this combination of symptoms (which progress slightly each day) warrants a visit to an urgent care clinic and/or an emergency room....or if I am OK to schedule an appointment with my regular physician tomorrow (Monday).
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 23 minutes later

Such a bump can be a blood blister due to friction rub with the belt or a boil which is very common in immunocompromised HIV patients. Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus.

A boil generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus.

For such a boil, apply warm compresses on the boil and keep the area clean with topical antiseptics. Drainage of the boil is done only when it becomes soft and forms a head.

Till then you can apply a topical antibiotic cream like Neosporin or Bactroban after consulting her doctor. You can also take some over the counter pain reliever like Ibuprofen and oral antibiotics after a doctor’s prescription.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.