Pain in upper right arm and cannot extend hand over head. Working in cold environment. What could it be?

Yesterday my wife has started to experience pain in her upper right arm on the inside of her bicep from the elbow to shoulder. She has'nt lifted anything heavy or had any damage otherwise in the affected area. She can't extend her hand over her head and we noticed a red line ( looks like a vein or somthing) which is swollen up to last night. I suggested she take some garlic and used a warm wash cloth for a few minutes on the pained area. This morning the line was hardly visible. We visited 2 doctors this morning. One said it may be a strained tendon and prescribed some muscle relaxers. We decided to get a 2nd opinion and this doctor diagnosed it as cellulitis of the arm. Neither doctor took any blood test or any other tests. My wife was not bitten and suffers from no other medical ailment. Her work involves a lot of sitting and in cold environment as it is an ice cream factory. She somtimes complains of pain in her legs which I think is related to poor circulation but I'm no doctor. She is 26 yrs and 160lbs and 5'6". Any assistance or advice however small would be greatly appreciated as we are worried it may be somthing else.
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow the advise.

Detailed Answer:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem , I would tell you that the symptoms you are telling are very non specific and it will be very difficult to reach any conclusion without examining the arm , still we can discuss the options.

It is less likely to be cellulitis because it will result in intense pain , swelling , redness which will be unbearable , so the chances are grim .

I think it could be muscle sprain as your previous doctor suggested and a trial of muscle relaxants can be taken . Otherwise a CBC , ESR should be done to rule out any cellulitis . Any kind of rupture tendon to be ruled out by doing USG of the arm .

Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Pain in upper right arm and cannot extend hand over head. Working in cold environment. What could it be? 37 minutes later
Thank you for your response. Is there a way for me to upload a photo for you to see? Based on what I am feeling, it doesn't feel like a muscle strain. The pain is concentrated only on the 'red slightly swollen line' that appeared last night. If I try to stretch my right arm to full length it feels as if something is pulling beneath my skin.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

I think you should wait for the medicines to act . If you are feeling red swollen line it can be thrombophlebitis . I think you should take anti inflammatory like naproxen 250 mg twice a day and see for response . Body has a tendency to heal itself and it will get better everyday .

Dr. Shruti