Pain in upper abdomen. Liver test showed normal bilirubin and sgot but elevated sgpt. What could be the reason?

General Surgeon
I have severe pain in right upper abdomen, My liver functin test was done, I have normal bilurubine[total -1.0, direct 0.2] and sgot[37] but sgpt is 68. What could be the reason?
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Right upper abdominal pain can be caused by gallstones (what is quite common reason) or peptic ulcer.
Gallstone pain is usually triggered by a fatty food, fried food or alcohol. The pain radiates to the right back and can be present between the shoulders. Nausea and vomiting can be also present. And gallstones can give such SGPT result. It is not a high result, just slightly elevated.
Peptic ulcer pain is located more in the upper middle abdomen, however upper right location is also possible. It appears in 1-2 hours after a meal. Nausea is usually present.
Your SGPT slightly elevated level can be also caused by alcohol intake, fatty foods or spicy foods intake, fatty liver.

I suggest you to visit your doctor and have abdominal ultrasound performed. If no gallstones will be present, gastroscopy should be the next step.

In a meanwhile you should avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, alcohol, coffee.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.