Ask a Dentist   »  

Pain in tongue, started post chicken pox, burning, pain increases with hot, cold and sour food. Help.

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have severe burning pain inside mouth below tongue on left side. This started post chickenpox since XXXXXXX 2007.
Initially it was pin and needle pricking pain. Now it is burning pain. Pain increases with hot, cold and sour food.
Pain also gets worse with eating from that side and while talking. Please help.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 26 minutes later

Neuralgia is common after herpes or varicella infection. It is usually burning or pricking pain and common along the nerve distribution (dermatome). It can be triggered by stimulants like stress, infections, movement (chewing), cold or temperature changes, etc.

Based on your description, I think your symptoms are probably related to neuralgia (trigeminal nerve). Medical drugs that are useful in treating such conditions are carbamazepine or other anticonvulsants, amitryptiline or other antidepressants, opioid analgesics or local anaesthetics and so on.

A competent ENT surgeon or on orofaciomaxillary surgeon can close in the diagnosis and prescribe you the needed medications. I suggest you to consult an ENT or Orofaciomaxillary surgeon. Once the diagnosis is confirmed, treatment can be started depending on the severity of the problem.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept this answer if you do not have any further queries. Should you have any, feel free to post your concerns here. I will gladly assist you further.