Pain in the right side of the body when lying down. Reasons?

Question
why does my right side hurt when I lay on my back or on my right side
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 17 minutes later

Pain on the right side when you lie down on the back or right side can be due to three reasons. They are:
1)     Gall bladder disease
2)     Kidney stones
3)     Lower rib pain syndromes due to muscular causes. This condition is characterized by pain in the lower chest or upper abdomen, a tender spot on the costal margin, and reproduction of the pain by pressing on the spot.

In your case, spinal cord problems following back surgeries can cause irritation of the nerves resulting in the referred pain.

You may need some investigations to confirm the diagnosis. These include kidney function tests, kidney scans, MRI spine and for complete ruling out gall bladder disease. Ultrasound abdomen and a HIDA scan are also entailed.

Till that time, you can indulge in conservative local care with careful use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen . Application of warm compresses may also help you.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wish you good health.