Pain in the lower spine after given epidural during childbirth. Remedy?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a 26 year old female and just had a baby 3 months ago. I was given an epidural which only worked on one side, so they redid it and it finally worked on both sides. Well since about a week after the delivery I have been experiencing severe pains starting in my lower spine and shoots up through my spine. It doesn't feel like the muscles, its the actual bone. Sometimes it gets so bad it prevents me from being able to hold my baby or doing normal housework
Posted Fri, 6 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later
Back pain after an epidural anaesthesia is a common problem. It can happen due to a nerve injury or extreme stretching after the procedure. Most of the times this pain subsides within six months of childbirth without any treatment.

I would suggest that at this time, you consider seeing a spinal specialist and see if with an MRI or CT they can determine any specific pathology of spine causing the pain.
It might be related to scarring, otherwise termed adhesions, of the dura mater of the spinal cord, or leaking of cerebrospinal fluid at the site of the epidural into the epidural space if it goes in too XXXXXXX
The pain can be relieved by doing a hot fomentation and applying a local analgesic gel. Stronger prescription drugs like muscle relaxants or gabapentin might be needed in persistent pain.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Pain in the lower spine after given epidural during childbirth. Remedy? 17 hours later
As of today, I have been having numbness on the skin of my upper/middle back and tingling down my left leg to my foot
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Your symptoms are likely to be due to a nerve damage. You can take methylcobalamin supplements for symptomatic relief.
An evaluation by a neurologist will help in pin pointing the diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.